As you think about this year ending and 2014 beginning, it is a great time to reflect on what your relationship with your MIL or DIL was like this year, and what you will do differently next year to improve your relationship with her. I know, I know… it is so much easier to do nothing and to convince yourself that doing nothing is your only option. To be honest doing nothing – being passive or reactive – only makes you feel more helpless.
Let this new year be a year of empowerment. Let this next year be a time when you are active…no better than that you are proactive in your relationship with your in-law.
Here are 5 tips for setting successful goals for 2014 to improve your relationship with your MIL or DIL:
1. Write down 3-4 things you would like to change in your relationship and keep them in a place where you can see them every day.
2. Describe these changes as clearly as possible so that you know, in detail what you expect – in yourself and in your in-law.
3. Determine behaviors you will do to create this change.
4. Write down a step-by-step plan (baby steps) for achieving your changes. Make sure that you include all the baby steps you will do to work toward your goal of improving your relationships and the changes you want to see.
5. Check off each baby step you take towards your goal/changes so you can see your progress.
It is important to keep in mind that you can’t do a behavior once and expect change. You will need to do a behavior over and over again before you will start to see change. But trust me, it will happen!
These 5 tips will not only help you be successful in changing your relationship, but they are steps that will help you feel empowered. Remember – one person can make a difference. One person can change a relationship.
What do you plan to do differently in 2014 to make your MIL/DIL relationship better?